2018 -19 School Year News
Northwood staff would like to thank our PTO and families for supporting our annual Literacy Night. Students and families had a great time! Thank you!
Spring Conferences participation rate was 96%. Thank you!
We are still accepting applications to enroll in our 3-year old and 4-year old programs. If you know someone encourage them to get started with the registration process. Students must be 3 or 4 years of age by September 15, 2019.
It’s been an amazing year!
My second year as principal of Northwood has been fantastic. Thank you for sharing your child with the great staff at Northwood. Even though many students are moving on to kindergarten next year, please stop by and say hi and remember that Amazing Starts Here. Thanks for your support this year.
Northwood’s May Play Day
May Play Day is a celebration of students’ physical growth and development. Students will participate in a variety of large motor tasks and activities. We need volunteers for both sessions 9:00-11:00 and 1:00-3:00. Please click on the link to volunteer or call the office at 515-268-2470 and we can get you signed up! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0d4faaad28a2f85-mayplay
The last PTO meeting of the year will be on May 14th at 6pm. PTO would like to thank all that attended and supported Literacy Night. It was a huge success!
Last Day of School
30th -Preschool PM students
31st – All AM students and PM Early Kindergarten students
Northwood Preschool Center Where Amazing Starts |
Featured in Amazing Magazine Spring 2019
27th – Memorial Day-No School
30th – Last Day of school for PM Preschool and Early Kindergarten
31st – Last Day of school for AM Preschool and Early Kindergarten
May Play Day – Friday, May 24th
May Play Day is a celebration of physical growth and development for ALL students! Students will participate in a variety of large motor tasks and activities. We are in need of volunteers for this event to support students through the different stations. Please call the office at 515-268-2470 or go to this link to sign up to volunteer: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0d4faaad28a2f85-mayplay
Car Loop Expectations during pick-up:
- If the adult picking up the Northwood student does not have a car tag, you have two choices: a) park and walk in to get the child or b) ask the adult in the car who the teacher/child is and teacher will go into Northwood to replace the teacher so the teacher can verify that you are able to pick up the child.
- All cars need to have a car seat or booster seat. If there is not a booster/car seat you have three choices: a) park your car and come into Northwood to get the child. Northwood staff cannot put a child in a car without a car/booster seat. b) Come into Northwood and borrow a booster seat c) go home and get the booster/car seat.
Thank you for following these pickup expectations. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Northwood office at 515-268-2470 and ask to speak to the building principal, Kristin Barber or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit the Ames Community School District website and got to the Northwood Preschool Center page to sign up for preschool for the 2019-2020 school year. If you have already signed up and submitted your four documents, you will receive a placement letter by the end of March.
Please call Barb Peterson at 268-6605 or go to the Ames District Office if you have not signed up for kindergarten and your child will be 5 by September 15th.
There are many illnesses going around especially influenza. To keep all kids healthy, we are washing our hands frequently and surfaces. We ask that children do not come to school when they show the following symptoms:
- Oral temperature of 100 degrees or more within 24 hours
- Vomiting or diarrhea within 24 hours
- Earache lasting more than a day
- A persistent cough, croup or chest congestion
- Labored or painful breathing
- Reddened, mattering or crusty eyes