Safety, Security and Responding to Emergencies
The Ames Community School District is committed to the safety of our students, staff, and visitors. We have a plan in place for safety, security and responses to emergencies and disasters. We post our plan in every building and classroom.
Coordination with local agencies
We coordinate our response to a crisis with local public safety agencies, such as the Ames Police and Fire Departments, the Story County Sheriff and Emergency Management Agency, and area hospitals.
The Director of School, Community, and Media Relations manages the information given to the community and to media to ensure it is accurate, consistent and serves to enhance the response to the situation.
We provide information to parents and guardians about the situation, dismissal procedures, and procedures for reuniting families with students. The methods we use to get in touch with parents and guardians may vary, depending on the nature of the situation.
- We will use Infinite Campus to send text message alerts that are followed up with email messages to subscribed parents and guardians.
- If appropriate to the situation, we will post alerts on the District website and distribute them to the media.
What parents and guardians can do to help:
- Subscribe to Infinite Campus to get timely information by text and email. Follow the instructions you receive in any message you receive from the District.
- For the safety of your child, please do not call or come to the school during a crisis. Please wait for instructions and updates.
- Attend the information meetings your school provides about safety and responses to crisis.
- Make a habit of singing in and out at the school office, greeting the office staff, and wearing a visitor’s badge.
- Report any unusual persons, behavior, activity or objects in the buildings or on the school grounds.