Parents can opt to receive a number of alerts in the case of a safety or weather issue in our District. We make it a priority to communicate with parents/guardians. In the case of a school safety concern, this will occur once measures have been taken to respond to the emergency. This helps ensure the safety of students, staff, and visitors, and that accurate information is confirmed.
The Director of Communications manages the information given to the community and to media when necessary. The methods we use to get in touch with parents and guardians may vary, depending on the nature of the situation.
How to Stay Informed of School Closings and Delays Due to Weather
- Phone calls, text, and email messages are sent via Blackboard with the phone numbers and email addresses in Infinite Campus. This means that it is very important to keep your information updated in the Infinite Campus Parent Portal so that we are able to contact you in an emergency.
- An alert message will be posted at the top of this website.
- We report closures and delays to all local media, including the Ames Tribune. You may watch KCCI Channel 8, WHO Channel 13, and ABC Channel 5 television, listen to KASI radio and check these stations’ websites.
- We will post the alert on Facebook and Twitter.
How to Stay Informed of a School Safety Issue
- We will use Blackboard to send text and/or email messages to subscribed parents and guardians. Please make sure your contact information is accurate in the Infinite Campus Parent Portal. Update your phone number and email address if there are changes and ensure you do not block the school district’s emails or calls.
- If appropriate to the situation, we will post alerts on the District website and distribute them to the media.
We realize that students often text or call parents when the school implements a safety protocol. Please know that we do our best to communicate specifics with students in a timely manner. However, students may not have all of the information and may unknowingly share incomplete or inaccurate information.
During a school emergency, we ask that parents do not come to or call the school, or approve your child to leave school grounds. It is important to keep the streets and parking area near the school, and phone lines open for emergency responders and communication. We need to be able to effectively account for all students and staff following an incident.