School and Family Counselors
School and Family Counselors in all of our schools support students and their families in finding the resources they need to develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes that are essential to academic and social-emotional success.
School and Family Counselors put students first by promoting equity and access to educational experiences for all students through our leadership, advocacy, systematic change, and collaboration. Through our prevention and intervention programs, we promote a safe learning environment and strive to safeguard human rights of all members of our school community.
School and Family Counselors provide services to students, parent/guardians, school staff, and the community in the following ways:
Individual Student Planning
- Assisting students in establishing personal goals and developing future plans.
- Coordinating ongoing systematic activities.
School Counseling Curriculum
- Providing developmentally appropriate structured lessons available to all students in kindergarten through eighth grade.
- Organizing and providing group and whole classroom activities.
- Intervening in response to students’ immediate needs and conditions.
- Providing prevention strategies to meet students’ future needs
Strategies may include
- Individual counseling
- Small group counseling
- Consultation with parents, teachers and other educators
- Referrals to other school support services or community resources
- Psycho-education; intervention and advocacy at the systemic level
- Developing confidential relationships with students
- Working to improve school climate and culture
- Establishing, maintaining, and enhancing the district-wide school counseling program
- Providing professional development, consultation, collaboration and supervision for program management and operations.
|Edwards Elementary||Pamela Sassman|
|Fellows Elementary||Cathy Braun|
|Meeker Elementary||Kari Deal|
|Mitchell Elementary||Karen Forster|
|Sawyer Elementary||Steven Krugler|
|Ames Middle School||
6th: Rachel Krofta
|Ames High School||Sonja Hayes|