The Ames Community School District mission commits to equity and access that empowers every individual to reach their full personal and educational potential. The purpose of the Equity Office is to help Ames Community School District cultivate a welcoming, safe, inclusive, and equitable school community. We help lead the District efforts to cultivate our schools into an equitable institution by identifying, addressing, and eliminating the barriers that create (in)equities in learning for all students. Our students and staff have the right to learn and work in a setting where all backgrounds and experiences are welcomed, included, and encouraged.
What We Do
- Provide all students the supports they need to reach their fullest potential.
- Lead the District efforts to cultivate our schools into an equitable institution.
- Provide professional learning for staff, students, and families.
- Regularly monitor student progress and use the data to modify strategies to best meet the needs of students.
- Reach out to diverse communities and to develop fresh, innovative strategies to bring parents as partners into schools.
- Develop Equity strategic plans on behalf of the District.
- Develop and provide services to “at risk” students including but not limited to homeless students and English learners.
Commitment to Equity
Ames CSD is committed to a school system that supports educational excellence regardless of ethnicity, race, color, national origin, age, different abilities, religion, marital or parental status, political affiliations or beliefs, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. Equitable academic programs and services that respond to the needs of a diverse student population and prepare all students for an ever changing global community are important. Ames CSD believes the work of educational equity can be accomplished through the lens of critical consciousness. Critical consciousness is the ability to recognize and analyze systems of inequality and the commitment to take action against these systems and should be embedded in every aspect of our school system.
Ames CSD is currently developing an Educational Equity Plan and you have an opportunity to get involved.
Dr. Anthony Jones
Director of Equity
Homeless Program Liaison
English Learner Coordinator
Ames Community School
2005 24th St.
Ames, IA 50010