Open Enrollment Information
Per Iowa Code 282.18 open enrollment is a process that allows parents/guardians residing in an
Iowa school district the option of enrolling their children into another Iowa school district. There
are two deadlines, March 1 and September 1, that must be kept in mind when considering
applying for open enrollment.
- March 1: Grades 1 – 12. Deadline for regular open enrollment applications for the
upcoming school year. There may be exceptions to the March 1 deadline which are based
on “good cause.”
- September 1: Deadline for prospective Kindergarten students.
Please note: If your child is currently open enrolled into the Ames Community School District and would like to continue attending next year, you do not need to submit a new application. Once you have been approved for open enrollment, the approval continues until your child graduates or you notify the district you are ending your open enrollment and enrolling your child in a different school district.
Students in kindergarten through high school are eligible to open enroll into a district of their choice if applying by the deadline. Students who move out of the district who have attended through 10th grade may continue to attend school in the District without applying for open enrollment.
How to apply for open enrollment
- Obtain an application.
- You may come in person to the Registrar’s Office at the Educational Services Center, 2005 24th St. Ames. or
- Complete the application.
- Return the application by the deadlines to the district where you currently reside and the district in which you seek enrollment. To send an application by mail, address it to:
Ames Community School District
2005 24th St.
Ames, IA 50010
Families of students who live outside the District must arrange for transportation to the school they are assigned for open enrollment or arrange for transportation to an Ames school bus route.
Students who open enroll into grades 9-12 must wait 90 days before participating in interscholastic contests at the varsity level. For questions about eligibility, contact the Iowa High School Athletic Association at 515-432-2011.