Ames Middle School Extended Learning Program
We put students first by providing curriculum for talented and gifted students as an integral part of the K-12 experience that is differentiated in process, pace, depth, organization and expected outcomes.
The Ames Middle School Extended Learning Program (ELP) is designed to:
- Enhance and support the curriculum and instruction process for highly capable students.
- Aid classroom teacher in providing challenging learning experiences for high ability students through collaboration with ELP Teachers.
- Provide differentiated learning to students through various delivery models including: whole class instruction, cluster groups in the classroom or ELP room, independent study, competitions, and acceleration.
- Monitor classroom modifications and enrichment opportunities for identified students through the use of Personalized Education Plans (PLP) accessible to parents through Infinite Campus.
- Offer opportunities for further learning through seminars and contests held periodically throughout the year.
- Support the entire student body through enrichment activities available to all students.
Incoming 6th-grade students
Compacted Math 6
Incoming 7th-grade students
Compacted 7/ 8 Math
Incoming 8th-grade students
Geometry (only available following successful Algebra completion)
We are excited this move will also provide a more equitable opportunity for all of our students to access accelerated courses through the use of a universal screener. Students wishing not to take the course can choose to opt out. If your student does not wish to test, please find the “Opt Out” form, complete, and return this to the main office of your building. Students currently taking Algebra or Geometry will not be included in the assessment.
Assessments for current ACSD 5th-grade students will be on April 29 during the school day, current 6th and 7th-grade students will be completed the week of April 22-26, make-up tests will be made available for students who are absent and have not elected to opt out from the assessment or who are not current ACSD students will be held on May 8 at 2:45 or on June 6 from 9:00-10:30. If your student requires a make-up date or is a non-ACSD student wanting to test, please contact Nicole Kuhns (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Current 8th grade students wishing to accelerate in the 2019-2020 school year should complete an AHS Acceleration form available below or in the AMS office. Forms are due on April 12.
For More Information about AMS ELP Visit
Our AMS ELP Staff
515-268-2400, ext. 5115
515-268-2400, ext. 5105
515-268-2400, ext. 5112