Ames Middle School Extended Learning Program
We put students first by providing curriculum for talented and gifted students as an integral part of the K-12 experience that is differentiated in process, pace, depth, organization and expected outcomes.
The Ames Middle School Extended Learning Program (ELP) is designed to:
- Enhance and support the curriculum and instruction process for highly capable students.
- Aid classroom teacher in providing challenging learning experiences for high ability students through collaboration with ELP Teachers.
- Provide differentiated learning to students through various delivery models including: whole class instruction, cluster groups in the classroom or ELP room, independent study, competitions, and acceleration.
- Monitor classroom modifications and enrichment opportunities for identified students through the use of Personalized Education Plans (PLP) accessible to parents through Infinite Campus.
- Offer opportunities for further learning through seminars and contests held periodically throughout the year.
- Support the entire student body through enrichment activities available to all students.
Only students new to the Ames Community School District or students not previously in the program need to apply. Applications are accepted anytime, but we encourage submission within the first weeks of September. Once completed, application materials can be submitted to your school or the Ames Middle School.
Students wishing not to take the course can choose to opt out. If your student does not wish to test, please find the “Opt Out” form, complete, and return this to the main office of your building. Students currently taking Algebra or Geometry will not be included in the assessment.
Current 8th grade students wishing to accelerate in upcoming school year should complete an AHS Acceleration form available below or in the AMS office.
Our AMS ELP Staff
515-268-2400, ext. 5112
515-268-2400, ext. 5115
515-268-2400, ext. 5105