The District and its partner Durham School Services puts students first by providing safe and reliable transportation to and from school for students who qualify.
If at any time your student will not be riding the bus as scheduled, please notify Durham School Services: 515-233-5424.
Students are not allowed to use bus transportation to ride to a home that is not on their assigned route.
Our Transportation Policy
The District provides transportation either directly or by reimbursement according to state law and Board policy, for all resident students, preschool through 12th grade, who qualify.
- Elementary and middle school students must live more than two miles from the school designated for attendance.
- High school students (grades 9-12) must live more than three miles from the school.
Other factors may determine a student’s eligibility for transportation. The District determines eligibility for transportation as students register for transportation services and only makes changes in eligibility at the start of the school year or second semester.
Families MUST apply for busing during registration and re-enrollment each year, even if they applied for busing in the past.
Please note that applications received later than one week before the start of school are considered late. Students whose applications are late will NOT be allowed to ride the bus until after Labor Day.
The District makes transportation available to students who live nearer than the statutory distance. Busing is NOT guaranteed outside elementary school boundaries.
ALL Northwood preschool students will be charged for busing, regardless of distance.
EK-5th Grade Students living less than 2 miles from the school of attendance will be charged for busing regardless of where your student is bused. ACSD has the final determination of distance. Per Iowa Code, busing is based on the permanent address of the student.
All Students 5th grade and younger are only allowed one pick up and one drop off. The pick up and drop off do not have to be the same.
6th -8th Grade Students living less than 2 miles from the school of attendance will be charged for busing regardless of where your student is bused. ACSD has the final determination of distance. Per Iowa Code, busing is based on the permanent address of the student.
6th -8th Grade Students from split households may request a second pick up/drop off, but only ONE pick up and drop off is allowed PER RESIDENCE.
9th -12th Grade Students living less than 3 miles from the school of attendance will be charged for busing regardless of where your student is bused. ACSD has the final determination of distance. Per Iowa Code, busing is based on the permanent address of the student.
9th -12th Grade Students from split households may request a second pick up/drop off, but only ONE pick up and drop off is allowed PER RESIDENCE.
NO STUDENTS are allowed to ride home with a friend or to get off at a stop other than their designated stop. NO EXCEPTIONS
Every effort will be made to get bus bills online as soon as possible. Regardless of when the fees are placed, if you qualify as Discretionary, YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE TRANSPORTATION FEES.
|Single Child||Second Child||Third Child||Year total (single child)|
Those students who qualify for Free and Reduced Meals and fill out the waiver can have the results applied to busing.
Other Transportation Factors
- We measure distance to school or to a bus route on the public roadway over the safest and most passable route, starting in the roadway opposite the private entrance to the student’s residence and ending in the roadway opposite the entrance to the school grounds or the designated point on the bus route.
- The distance any student may be required to travel to meet a school bus on the approved route without reimbursement is limited to three-fourths of one mile.
- Where transportation by school bus is impracticable or where school bus service is not available the parent(s)/guardian(s) residing beyond the statutory distance may be required to transport their child(ren) to the school(s) designated for attendance.
- The District will provide reimbursement for such transportation service in the amount stipulated by the Code of Iowa. Parent(s)/guardian(s) will not receive reimbursement for furnishing transportation for more than three family members who attend elementary school and one family member who attends high school;
- Or, arrangements may be made for use of common carriers at a cost based upon the actual cost of service and approved by the Board.
- Where unsatisfactory roads or other conditions make it advisable, the District may require the parent(s)/guardian(s) to transport their child(ren), up to two miles to connect with a vehicle of transportation.
- The District will provide reimbursement for such transportation at the rate stipulated by the Code of Iowa, per mile per day, one way, per family for the distance from the student’s residence to the bus route.
Ames Community School District Educational Services Center
2005 24th St.
Ames, IA 50010