The 2020-2021 school year calendar was approved by the Ames school board on Monday, January 13, 2020.
Start date – School will officially begin on Wednesday, August 26, 2020 for most grades across the District. This includes 1st – 5th grade, as well as 6th and 9th graders and all other students at the middle and high school who are new to the District. Here is a breakdown of the staggered start dates across the district:
- August 26 – 1st-5th grades. Orientation for 6th grade and 9th grade, and all AMS and AHS students new to the district.
- August 27 – Early kindergarten, 7th, 8th, and 10th-12th grade
- August 28 – Kindergarten
- September 8 – Preschool
At the secondary level, the August 26 start date provides an orientation opportunity for 6th and 9th graders, as well as all other 6th-12th graders who are new to the District. This allows them time to meet teachers and get acquainted with a new building and expectations. Ames High modeled this approach two years ago with Ames Middle School implementing this approach last year.
Other Dates to Highlight:
- November 2-5 – Fall Parent/Teacher Conferences
- December 23 – January 1 – Winter Break (Resume January 4)
- March 8-11 – Spring Parent/Teacher Conferences
- March 15-19 – Spring break
- June 2 – Last day of classes (weather permitting)
Professional Development – Elementary schools across the District will continue with Wednesday early out professional development for staff. At the secondary level, Ames Middle School and Ames High School will continue to use full days for professional development.
We have posted a District at-a-glance calendar in PDF form on our website that can be downloaded and printed at the URL below.