Physical Education Philosophy and Curriculum
- Physical, mental and emotional health are interconnected.
- It is important to find movement activities that you enjoy.
- We each have different abilities. Not everyone will be a champion, but everyone can find enjoyment as they continue to practice for skill development and personal wellness.
- The highest level of competition is with yourself.
What we expect from students
- Participate with full effort to the best of your individual ability, meeting a minimum standard or making progress toward a minimum standard. Please talk to your teacher if you need medical modifications.
- Practice safety skills by listening carefully to explanations, following directions, practicing safety guidelines, and learning to monitor your body.
- Practice social skills by being responsible, self-controlled, and respectful.
- Accept individual differences and include everyone in our activities.
About Pass/Fail grading
Iowa Law requires students to take Physical Education each semester in order to graduate. The classes are activity labs that meet two days per week for Pass/Fail credit. Unexcused Absences or failing to dress for class will result in a failing grade until the student completes P.E. make-up.
Mandatory CPR Instruction
Iowa Law requires students to take Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation in P.E. class in order to graduate. Ames High School classes require students to meet the American Red Cross standards. Students must make up Excused Absences Students with Unexcused Absences will fail to meet the CPR requirements and must reschedule PE with CPR for the next semester or independently certify with the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association. Students with Unexcused Absences may remain in the PE with CPR class to complete their Physical Education semester credit.
Making up missed Physical Education classes
- Follow the make-up schedule and guidelines posted by your P.E. teacher or make an appointment with your P.E. teacher to complete make up classes. Please note, substitute teachers do not supervise make-ups.
- You may only make up on class unit per day.
- If using your lunch period to make up a P.E. class, bring a sack lunch.
- Dress in clothes that meet Ames High School P.E. guidelines.
- Arrive promptly at the beginning of the make-up time/period.