School Delays, Cancellations and Early Dismissals
The Superintendent will make the decision to cancel school, delay the start time or dismiss classes early if conditions are deemed dangerous to students and staff.
We will announce delays in start times and cancellations as early as possible, but not later than 6 a.m. Parents or guardians may choose to keep their children at home if they are concerned about weather conditions while school is in session. They must notify the school. The principal will record the absence as excused.
How to find out about school closings and delays:
- We use Infinite Campus to send alerts to parents and guardians. Please set your Infinite Campus account to receive text and voicemail alerts.
- Check the alerts on the front page of the District website and on the District cable channel.
We will report closures and delays to all local media, including the Ames Tribune. You may watch KCCI Channel 8, WHO Channel 13, and ABC Channel 5 television, listen to KASI radio and check these stations’ websites.
- We will post the alert on Facebook and Twitter.
When a school cancellation of classes is necessary:
- All District schools will be closed and before-and after-school activities will be cancelled.
- As a general rule, athletic events will be cancelled.
When a delayed start is necessary:
- The District will follow a two-hour delay schedule unless there are unusual circumstances
- All before-and after-school professional development activities will be cancelled.
- Morning preschool and early kindergarten classes at Northwood Preschool Center will be cancelled.
- Elementary school will start at 10:25 a.m.
- Middle school will start at 10 a.m.
- High School will start at 9:50 a.m.
In the event of a delayed start on a Wednesday:
Because a delayed start on Wednesday cancels professional development activities before and after school, the Wednesday delay schedule is based on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday start times and dismissal times.
- Middle school will start at 10 a.m. and dismiss at 3:15 p.m.
- High school will start at 9:50 a.m. and dismiss at 3:05 p.m.
- Elementary students will start at 10:25 a.m. and dismiss at 3:30 p.m.
When an early dismissal is necessary:
- The Superintendent will make the decision by 11 a.m., if possible.
- Early-dismissal times may vary depending on the weather conditions.
- Afternoon preschool and early kindergarten classes at Northwood Preschool Center will be cancelled.
- After-school activities will be cancelled and in general, athletic events will be cancelled.
If the number of weather-related cancellations requires days to be made up to complete the state-and Board-mandated number of instruction hours, we will add make-up dates to end of the District calendar and we will alert parents and guardians about the calendar change.