Enrolling a new student
Welcome to the Ames Community School District.
All students must complete the enrollment process before they may attend school. Please keep in mind that we want new students to experience a smooth transition to our schools, and the enrollment process may take one-to-three days.
Steps to enroll a new student.
You may register online at home or in the Registrar’s Office. Scroll down on this page to view instructions for these steps to enroll a new student.
- View the online registration instructional video.
- Click the online registration link to enroll the student.
- Gather the required documents
- Complete other required forms.
- Make an appointment to meet with the Registrar.
3. Gather other required documents
Even though you will enter most enrollment information online, there are a few paper documents you must submit to the Registrar.
Gather these records:
- Birth certificate
- Passport/Visa for international students
- Immunization records
- Proof of residency, such as utility bill, bank statement or lease agreement.
- If you have purchased a home but not yet closed, please provide a copy of the purchase agreement with your name, address, closing date and signatures.
- Current transcript for students in grades 9 – 12.
- Please note, students enrolling in our high school must meet with a school counselor before they start school, to set up their class schedule.
4. Complete the other required forms
View the page linked below. Find the section for the student’s attendance level, such as elementary, middle school or high school. You may pick up the required forms at the Registrar’s office, or click on the links to print the forms and complete them before you meet with the Registrar.
5. Meet with the Registrar to complete the process.
Contact the Registrar to make an appointment or drop by the District Offices. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 9 – 11:30 a.m. or 1 – 4 p.m.
Registrar Barbara Peterson
2005 24th St., Ames
Touring your new school
After the Registration process is complete, the District offers new students and their families an opportunity to tour the school they will be attending.