School Nutrition Program
Our schools, our approved food service contractor and our outside concession groups provide food services that are consistent with appropriate laws and the Districtʼs Wellness Policy and health education goals.
The Ames Community School District puts students first by providing a school nutrition program that is an integral part of the District’s total educational program.
The District’s school food services program operates under an agreement with the Food and Nutrition Bureau of the Iowa Department of Education. The Chief Financial Officer has the responsibility for managing operation of the food services program under a contract with Chartwells Dining Services.
If you would like a Spanish version of this application, email Jianna.Seiler@ames.k12.ia.us.
Si quiere un formulario en Español, contacta Jianna.Seiler@ames.k12.ia.us.
School Nutrition Program Objectives
- To reinforce the nutrition concepts taught in the classroom through the laboratory experience the lunchroom provides.
- To encourage students’ participation in the school food services program and to develop positive food habits in students and staff and indirectly improve food habits of all members of the family.
- To broaden students’ tastes and interest in a variety of foods and overcome individual dislikes in foods.
- To provide nutritious, well balanced, attractive meals at a reasonable cost in compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and the Districtʼs Wellness Policy.
- To provide food services, as requested, for special functions within the District.
- To provide an efficient operation, emphasizing quality foods and friendly service to students and staff, to make school mealtime an enjoyable experience.